Monday 23 June 2014

Samson Girl in Sydney: The Rocking Rocks Market

A mere stone's throw away from Sydney's hustling and bustling CBD and nestled amongst cobblestone streets, cute cafes and bespoke craft shops, lies The Rocks Markets. Now Iv'e been to more markets in my life than Iv'e been to designer sales - and that's truly saying something - but there's something so pleasantly charming about these little markets set amid convict-carved sandstone (remind me to thank them later) that I find particularly appealing.
The Rocks Markets are open every Saturday and Sunday from 10-5 all year round, whether in rain or shine...and in my case it was unfortunately in rain. Lots of rain. But I didn't let that dampen my spirits as I wound my way through the one hundred or so eclectic stalls, offering everything from locally produced art, photography, hand-crafted furniture, fashion and accessories by aspiring designers. Despite the large crowds, there was a lovely feeling of community exuding from passionate stallholders, some of whom have been selling their wares at the market for more than 20 years. They're more than happy to offer information about their product's creation and even give you some sneaky samples...I may have taken the term 'sample' loosley when it came to the organic salted caramel chocolate. I also got a wonderful surprise when I discovered one of my favourite musicians, Patrick James, heroically busking in the rain in order to bring a little musical joy to The Rocks. I tried to be cool (something that doesn't come naturally to me), but ended up blushing like a huge loser when I got a photo with him and shook his hand. Needless to say I haven't washed my own since. Kidding...kind of.


 
 
 
If you're around Sydney and looking for a fun way to spend your weekend then I would highly recommend a little saunter through The Rocks Market. You'll find yourself delightfully surprised by the beautiful bits and bobs you stumble upon, might even be lucky enough to be serenaded by a Sydney musician and hopefully leave with a belly full of chocolate. Quite frankly The Rockd Market, well, rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment