Friday 27 June 2014

Samson Girl in Sydney: The Grounds of Alexandria

Ok ok, one more post about Melbourne's rival city and then I promise I'll return to my normal Sydney-snubbing self. This Sydney cafe I feel hardly needs any introduction...in fact, I'm more inclined to call it more a Caffe 'Community' or 'Hub' of sorts, because to deem The Grounds of Alexandria a mere cafe hardly seems to do it justice.
I bravely attempted a weekend visit to my favourite Sydney hangout and, despite the huge lines and crowds of people, I was not disappointed. A friendly little farmers market greeted us, with cute stalls selling everything from delectable pastries and jewellery to caramel ice-cream sandwiches (oh yeah, you heard me right) and chocolate covered popcorn. Rather than a table in the cafe section, we wound our way through the outdoor crowds braving the cold to gorge themselves on burgers, chips and grilled meats from cheery stall vendors, and grabbed a table at the newly established Potting Shed. This section of the growing Grounds Community boasts breakfast, lunch and dinner and, though offering a different menu to its cafe-relation, the food can most definitely hold its own. With dishes of wagyu burgers, salt and pepper calamari, fresh and delicate salads and a cocktail menu that could kill, there is most definitely something to be enjoyed by everyone. And once you've eaten and drunk your fill, take a stroll through the ever-expanding space, purchase flowers from the Instagram-worthy florist, take a look at the amazing deli and do not, I repeat, do not simply walk past those ice-cream sandwiches. A trip to The Grounds of Alexandria really is my favourite way to say goodbye to Sydney.




No comments:

Post a Comment